Fall Prevention Training Services is singularly focused on training our clients in the Six-Step Balance SystemTM created by Dr. Betty Perkins-Carpenter. This program is based on the book “How to Prevent Falls: Better Balance, Independence and Energy in 6 Simple Steps” by Dr. Betty Perkins-Carpenter.
We use Dr. Carpenter’s fun, simple and interactive methods to teach older adults, caregivers, and small groups how to improve their balance, reduce the fear of falling and enhance overall well-being. Sessions are most often held at local senior centers, senior care facilities, independent living complexes, community centers, libraries, churches or various community service organizations.
For more information on the types of classes currently being offered, please review each description below and let us know your interest.
During this engaging and informative introductory one and a half hour presentation you will:
- Be introduced to each of the six steps. For a description of each step (Click Here)
- Be provided general information on how serious fall related injuries have become an epidemic. (Click Here – Chart on Hospitalizations)
- Learn how the Six-Step Balance SystemTM is different than other fall prevention or balance programs. For a summary description (Click Here)
- Be introduced to the science behind the Six-Step Balance SystemTM
- Participate in several exercises covered in the book, our six week classes, and personalized training programs
Testimonial: "Dear Betty, I wanted to drop you a line thanking you for a thoroughly enjoyable and informative session today with my patients on how to prevent falls and keep fit. I am sure that if we could spread the word on you principals we could cut the home accident rate at least half. My patients seemed to enjoy thoroughly the talk as well." Physician, Rochester, NY.
Who should attend:
- Any senior or older adult
- Anyone who has fallen or has a fear of falling
- Anyone who knows someone who has fallen
- Anyone who wants to age in place
- Any caregiver for someone who has fallen or has a fear of falling
Testimonial: “This is so easy and fun! There’s so much I can do again without fear of falling!” - Ethel Hall, 96 years young
Each presentation typically takes 1-1/2 hours with plenty of time during and after the presentation for questions. Typically, Dr. Carpenter’s book “How to Prevent Falls: Better Balance, Independence and Energy in 6 Simple Steps”, her guide “Stretching in Bed: to Look Better and Feel Better”, and her DVD “How to Prevent Falls” are available for sale immediately after the meeting, depending on any host site restrictions.
For our class schedule (Click Here)
For more information on available products (Click Here)
During this interactive and informative series of one hour classes you will:
- Learn and practice each step and the exercises described in the book “How to Prevent Falls: Better Balance, Independence and Energy in 6 Simple Steps”. For a description of each step (Click Here)
- Learn how easy and fun the Six-Step Balance SystemTM really is when compared to other fall prevention or balance programs
- Learn the science behind and the research that when into the Six-Step Balance SystemTM
- Review a checklist on how to fall proof your home
- Enter into a “Contract with Myself” recognizing the benefits of the Six-Step Balance SystemTM (That is if you wish to reduce fall related injuries or your fear of falling!)
Testimonial: "I love this class. It offers useful information & the book is a lifelong investment I expect to use this information for the rest of my life." Virginia, Van Buren, MI
Who should attend:
- Those who want to prevent a fall
- Those who want to reduce the chance of serious injury should they fall
- Those who want to remain active and independent
- Those who want to age in place
- Those who want to enjoy a greater sense of well-being
- Those who want freedom from oppression of aging bodies
Testimonial: “I really feel secure and my balance has improved so much, I no longer need to use my cane.” - June Curtis, former student of Betty’s
Each one hour class session is conducted in a relaxed environment where students learn at a moderate pace with ample opportunity to ask questions. Students will use Dr. Carpenter’s book “How to Prevent Falls: Better Balance, Independence and Energy in 6 Simple Steps” to practice in class. The book and other materials are available for sale before each meeting or on-line. (Click Here)
For our class schedule (Click Here)
At select locations, either Fall Prevention Training Services or one of our partners offer personal one-on-one instruction in the Six-Step Balance SystemTM.
Individualized, personal balance training programs are composed of 8 visits to the student’s preferred location. Visits are conducted as follows, which may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student:
First Visit – “Getting Acquainted”. This visit is one to one and a half hours long. This is a time for the teacher and student to get to know each other on a personal level, as well as conducting a simple assessment of the student’s balance and other cognitive skills. The teacher will also identify any potential trip, slip or falls hazards in the home and offer viable solutions with the goal of making the home as “fall proof” as possible. Family members are invited and encouraged to attend the first visit to provide support and become more involved with the health of the student. The teacher will also offer a brief overview of the six steps, and recommend one exercise and one stretch for the student to practice during his/her daily exercise program until the next visit.
Second through Seventh Visits – “Learning the Six Steps.” These visits begin one week after the first visit and run consecutively. Each of the six steps will be explained and practiced. Before leaving, the teacher will answer all questions and assign “homework” that will be reviewed at the beginning of the next session.
Eighth Visit – “Follow up”. This visit should be conducted within 6 weeks of completion of the seven visits. The teacher will evaluate the student and make any further recommendations. Students are further encouraged to drop in on any local existing Six-Step Balance SystemTM Class being held in the area (a small drop-in fee may be required) to keep practicing and to encourage socialization. Family members are invited to Follow-Up Meetings as well; they will receive suggestions on how the family can help the student adhere to this program.